Most removal companies in Australia offer some type of insurance or warranty of service as recommended by Australian Furniture Removals Association. However, it is a common misconception that there is a blanket coverage available to removals that covers all moves including accidental damage to furniture or goods. This is not true. We have our own insurance policies required for professional removal companies (public liability & transit insurance).
Some points to remember in this regard:
- Transit Insurance will not cover “Owner Packed” items for damage.
- We Break it, We fix it Guarantee. Only items packed with recommended protective wrapping materials by Aussie Removals & Transport or authorized representative are covered by a “We Break it, We Fix it” Guarantee. Any items found to be damaged during the course of the move must be identified and disclosed.
- Any damage must be documented before our men leave the job.
- If you require our men to perform difficult or risky work, you will need to self insure.
- Our insurance & No Damage Guarantee does not cover anything deemed risky such as handling furniture over balconies, stairways of any kind – internal, external and including fire escape stairs, lifts where it is obvious the items will not fit, maneuvering heavy items like, wardrobes, lounge suites, dining tables etc, up & down stairs, steep or dangerous driveways, or hazardous construction sites. Items that need to go up and down lifts will be solely at the customers responsibility and liability, with all care taken by us. We are not liable for any incident occurring that may involve apartment/high-rise lifts and remains the full responsibility of the customer.
- Glass, mirrors, marble, granite, ceramics or items that are brittle, porous by nature are not covered, including terracotta pots, fish tanks, leadlight etc. These items must be bubble wrapped, packed, boxed or protected before moving.
- Small breakable items must be packed into proper removal boxes. Rule of thumb – Anything that fits in a box should be in a box.
- Boxes packed by owner are not covered for damage.
- Electrical goods, washing machines, fridges, PCs etc are only covered if there is actual physical damage to the outer casing.
- This Guarantee shall not apply where any or all of the payment due to us from you is withheld or not paid in clear funds in full. Any repairs carried out by us shall only commence once full payment has been received on moving day. All payment is due on the day of the job.
- Items must then immediately be removed from the premises for repair. Guarantee will be Null and Void if items are not disclosed prior to sign-off, are not wrapped, packed or protected as recommended, or have not been proven in working order prior to relocation. Full breakage and handling insurance is a separate policy taken out by you, directly with an independent insurance broker. This insurance will cover your goods at a value determined between you and the broker. (We advise all goods should have Breakage and Handling Insurance prior to relocation)
- Exclusions to “We Break it, We fix it” Guarantee: Delay, Inherent Vice, deterioration and nature of the subject matter. Trade loss, loss of market and the like. The damaged item was made from chipboard or quick release screws; and or not including staples. Dismantling, assembly, testing or fabrication of plant or machinery. Paintings, artwork, sculptures, glassware and foodstuffs of any kind. Jewellery, gold and silver articles, precious stones. Bullion, cash, banknotes. Deeds, bonds, securities and other negotiable items. Electrical faults or instances of any malfunction that is not the result of a recorded major collision including Internal electrical faults where there is no evidence of physical damage caused by us to electrical goods.