- The first, vitally important thing is to choose your packing supplies carefully. It is definitely worth the small expense to buy boxes specifically designed for moving – they are stronger and are designed to absorb the impact of the knocks and bumps when moving.
- Top quality tape is a must – cheaper tapes do not stick for long and the bottoms drop out of the boxes as you carry them in and out of your house.
- Use removal cartons of similar size and shape, this will assist the removalists to load efficiently. These cartons are made to keep a load square and fit evenly across the truck (saving time loading).
- Use larger cartons for bulky items like kitchen pots, pans and crockery.
- Make sure you use plenty of paper around fragile items.
- Use smaller boxes for heavier items like books, records and tins of food.
- Don’t overfill a box, and always tape the top and bottom of the cartons.
- Wrap fragile items with bubble wrap or paper, soft linen can be used to fill gaps and mark the box fragile.
- Mark the boxes with the room they will be going into.